Thursday, February 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday (sorta)

Today there were a few "throwback" moments in my classroom with my kids.  During a Money Scoot activity in math, I changed up our scoot music by playing "I Wanna Be Rich" by Calloway.  When I initially found the song/video on youtube I about died...the video cracked me up!  What was so funny is that my kids thought that this was a NEW song that they just hadn't heard yet. Umm, not quite - although the 80s always tend to make a comeback! They absolutely loved dancing, moving, and learning to the sound of the synthesized drums! Even I was singing this song allll day long (even once I got home and started making dinner!).
Another "throwback" moment that we had was with an activity to reuse some old craftivities in the classroom.  In September, while focusing on buildling our classroom community, the kids made self-portraits.  They are one of my favorite BOTY activities!  These self portraits have been adding adorable pizzazz to our classroom walls until I decided to reuse them for a new activity - Valentine mailboxes.  When I first started teaching (yeeeears ago),  my kids made similar mailboxes using shoeboxes and they worked on them for several days to make a face, arms, hands, shoes, the whole sha-bang.  Who has time for that?! This version, however, took all of about 25 minutes to take the faces off the cabinets and tape them on to the covered cereal boxes! (Of course, I have my TA to thank for wrapping and cutting all of the cereal boxes for me!!)
Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

No comments :

Post a Comment