Monday, July 7, 2014

Classroom/Library Organization & Good Finds!

So many great purchases to tell you about...where do I begin?!
This is a longer post, so hang in there with me...

While most people were searching for red, white, and blue colored "stuff" last week, I was looking for anything and everything GREEN!  I've decided that I am going to streamline the baskets/bins in my classroom library and make them all lime green - my fav! Currently, they are a hodgepodge of primary colors with no rhyme or reason.  In fact, it's confusing for the kids.  Most of my library books are leveled with colored sticky dots but the bins they are in don't coordinate with the color (even though the label on the bin does).  So yellow books, for example, might be labeled as such, but in a huge, honkin' blue tub.  What was I thinking?! Fortunately, the Dollar Tree delivered (for the most part). So far I have collected a bunch of baskets. But...I didn't take inventory of what I needed before I packed up my room, so I'm making my best guess.  I know I still need a lot more, though.  I also picked up the polka dot trays (I got some last year and we used them allll the time), containers, fabric boxes to hide other messes, and smaller baskets. Don't forget, you can order in bulk from the Dollar Tree here if you store has limited quantities!
I definitely still need larger bins (maybe 11"?) for the picture books in the library.  The ones that I have are the perfect size, but not the perfect color. I know that Really Good Stuff has some here, but I feel like they are a bit pricey.  The dollar store spoils a girl! Any suggestions? Spray paint for plastic (I just don't want to deal with chipping/pealing)??

I also found some cute things to go with my black & white polka dot room {I don't see those going away from my decor anytime soon!!} with green accents at Michael's.  I got these two containers on clearance.  They were 50% and 70% off.  I use the green bags for Birthday Bags so I grabbed those while I thought of it. I also found magnetic spice rack containers for my small office supplies and adorable initial cards in the dollar bins. Score!
Speaking of $ bins...Target has their Dr. Seuss stuff in stock in their Dollar Spot section.  Go stock up for Read Across America Day now!
Finally, I have to share this amazing find from IKEA!  I've been searching for a shelf of sorts for on my desk to store my binders.  During the school year, a parent helped me consolidate my files into organized binders. She was a saint and would tackle a few files each week by purging multiples and putting them into sheet protectors for me (there were some files that I HAD to go through first, I was too embarrassed for her to see what they looked like otherwise).  Anyway...I stopped by IKEA on a mission to find something that would fit the height of the binders - for a decent price.  I didn't find exactly what I wanted and finally succumbed to the thought that I'd have to built my own...sigh. On my way out of the store, though, I wondered over to the "scratch/dent/random stuff" section and found exactly what I was looking for!  It was clearly used for display purposes and has some hardware that I need to remove, but it was $4.99.  What?!  I was so proud of my find that I didn't even mind (much) sitting in traffic on my way home! 
What have you been gathering for your classroom this summer?

3 comments :

  1. Those baskets are so cute! I haven't made it to the dollar store yet, but apparently I need to. What a score on that IKEA shelf! I can't wait to see pics of your finished room!

    Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard at our meet-up that Big Lots has some green items. I'm going to head over there this weekend and check it out. I will let you know if I find anything good!

    Rachel
    Mrs O Knows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green is my color, too! I can't even go in Dollar Tree anymore...
    I have so many green and yellow boxes, bins, containers, etc. that it is just sinful.
    You need to post pictures of your room when you get it all together - I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete